Tips on how to stay Happy & Healthy at High Altitude:
1. Eat a high carb, low protein, low fat diet
(DIET is the most important thing!)
2. Smaller, more frequent meals.
3. Hydrate enough to maintain pale yellow urine.
4. Avoid alcohol after 6pm for the first 48 hrs.
5. Use sunblock SPF 30 and reapply often.
6. UV rated sunglasses or goggles are
essential to protect your eyes.
7. Don’t over exert yourself in the first 48 hrs.
Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) is common over 8,000’ elevation
The symptoms of mild AMS may include:
4. Nausea and/or vomiting
5. Shortness of breath
6. Lack of appetite
7. Disturbed sleep
8. General feeling of malaise
The consequences of severe AMS can be serious. High altitude and lower air pressure can cause fluid to leak from capillaries. It can build up in the lungs and the brain. Remaining at altitude without proper treatment and acclimatization can potentially be life threatening.